The purpose of the J-1 Training/Internship Program for is to provide participants with opportunities for professional development, insight into American know-how in the field of training, and a greater understanding of American society and culture. Trainees and Interns are expected to share the cross-cultural and professional knowledge they have gained in the U.S. upon returning to their home country at the end of their programs. The J-1 Program is also intended to allow Americans to learn about the culture and expertise of the participant’s home country.
The program goals and objectives are to:
- Strengthen and internationalize professional learning in the United States and abroad;
- Enhance international understanding and professionalism through business, cultural and non-business activities involving the exchange of knowledge, skills, ideas and experiences;
- Study American business practices, management, corporate governance and current issues challenging the U.S. private sector;
- Gain practical experience in these areas through training opportunities in U.S. business corporations, non-profit organizations, and public sector agencies;
- Transfer knowledge and skills across countries and to prepare the next generation of global leaders;
- Offer opportunities to strengthen leadership skills and share leadership experiences with other participants to enable them to contribute more effectively in their home countries;
- Impart information about the United States, its business and economy, and society and governmental system to program participants; and,
- Enable program participants to share information about their people, culture, values, professional goals and daily activities with Americans and learn the same from their American counterparts.